Skip to main content

Hi all, need last minute help in the 11th hour (cause when else would everything go wrong?!)

So we have the Stage Setter 8 console. I've always set up our lights, and we've never had any issues. Now, of course, with a show in less than 24 hours (and Myself gone for about 23 of those hours) we're running into problems.

My Stage Setter console doesn't control my packs. All that works is the FULL-ON button and the BLACK-OUT function. The dimmer properties do not work at all. I've plugged in my 12 lights like normal (ON dimmer pack 1, each of all 4 channels has 2 lights plugged in, and on dimmer pack 2, the first 2 channels have the remaining 4 lights plugged in.) To make matters more complicated, I can unplug the 2 packs from the console and unplug the console itself and the lights will still be on!! How does one reset a Stage-Setter 8?

Below are the addresses for my dimmer packs. I'm hoping it's just that somehow the address got messed up and now nothing is working, so if you guys see it please help me out.

Please advise asap. My show is in less than 24 hours. Thanks in advance, friends!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jingles,

I set the proper addresss for the second dimmer pack, and now that is functioning properly...

kind of..

The original problem remains- my lights are not being controlled by the Stage Setter. Well, that's not totally true. Blackout and full on work, but the dimming abilities and singling out a light channel does NOT work. I don't know how to reset this board. Is there a combination of keys to hit or something? Do I have to open it up and do something?

The most bizarre thing is still the fact that I can unplug the Stage Setter completely and the lights will still be on.

The lights are plugged in the packs properly. The packs themselves are addressed properly and are sending the signal to the board (well, maybe not, since they're not dimming). And the board is reacting to my ham-fisted fade up fade down techniques. It senses the fading up and down, yet there is no reaction, or no signal sent out to the dimmer packs. So it seems to me that there is some communication problem between the packs and the console.

I don't know.

But the good news is that the final dress is today, not the actual show. So I've bought 24 more hours, and I would appreciate any further assistance.

Thanks so much all!!
a few questions then i have to go for a couple hours, but i will be back.
are you using actual DMX cables? or mic cables? is the end of the DMX line terminated? have u tried different cables to see if it was a bad one? and if you have the manual for the stage setter 8 look in there for the resetting. if you dont have it here is a link. download it and bring it with you.
http://www.elationlighting.com/pdffiles/Stage%20Setter-8.pdf
also what packs are you using? you never said and check the manual for those for any potential problems. you got a long process and elimination going on right now. like i said i wil be gone for a few hours but keep me updated my posting here. sincerely,
I am using proper DMX cables. The original package I bought this all with is the Elation Stage Pak 1 Complete lighting system. The package includes:

1 x Stage Setter 8
2 x DP-415 4 channel DMX dimmer packs
2 x MC-25 xlr cables

I looked at the manual for the DP-415 in addition to the Stage Setter 8. I didn't find out how to reset the Stage Setter, and I confirmed that my DMX addresses are correct on my DP415s.

I finally found that if I turn everything on, with my Stage Setter faders ALL at 100%, the lights end up "warming up" and after a few minutes are on full. I have blackout capabilities only. If I unplug or turn off my Stage Setter console, the lights remain on. Weird. No dimming capabilities, but if I move any fader, the LCD screen's numbers change accordingly. 0-255, but nothing is happening to my lights.

Fortunately, my production is in a school setting so the lights' ability to remain on and black out will be acceptable. But I still will be sleuthing till I find a suitable answer, as we have another performance at the end of the month where full-on is NOT going to be acceptable.

As far as I know, the cables are reacting fine and I don't think they are bad. If I can get my hands on some digi XLR cables this week, I will test them to make sure that the current ones I have are working properly.

I will also be researching in to purchasing another console, perhaps from MusiciansFriend, to see if it's a console problem. I'm well versed in MF's return policy, so that may be a viable avenue to check the condition of the Stage Setter, before I send that in for servicing. Honestly, I'm hoping I have a completely (somehow) completely blown console, but I have a terrible feeling its flagrant user-ineptitude. Would it be best to try to acquire another Stage Setter 8, or would it be a decent idea to "upgrade" either the console or dimmer packs? We're doing fine channel-wise, and with 12 lights, for what we're doing, we don't have a direct NEED to upgrade. Of course, if that's what it takes then that's what it takes.

I guess the good news is that I'm certainly learning a LOT from this.

Thank you all (and by all so far, I mean James) for your help, I am so unbelievably grateful.

3 cheers for Elation tech support? I'm totally blown away.
LOL i try! also side note MC stands for microphone cable! not DMX cable. that is why i believe they started the accu cable line. so then i assume you are not using the mc cables are you? for controller i know you got all pars but check out the DMX operator 192. i love this controller for the simplicity and ease of use. and if you ever decide to throw a few intels on it, it would have plenty of room for them and pars. sincerely,
umm im not too sure what u meant with the question mark at the end of the 3 cheers. but i do work for elation as Compu live tech support. so in essence i do tech support. also you weren't likely to get an answer from any of the other techs as it was after work on a friday. im one of a few people that watch the forums here. so i handle any questions i know how to answer. peace! sincerely,
Probably a stupid suggestion but what ever helps right? the way you said the lights would "warm up" could mean that the fade time on the SS8 is up. look over at the fade time fader and make sure it is on instant. If it is down on like 5 minutes it will take 5 minutes for the lights to come full on. so try that and see what happens.

P.S. I've been a little "under the weather" or i would have gotten here sooner. good job james

jthtiger
quote:
Originally posted by jthtiger:
Probably a stupid suggestion but what ever helps right? the way you said the lights would "warm up" could mean that the fade time on the SS8 is up. look over at the fade time fader and make sure it is on instant. If it is down on like 5 minutes it will take 5 minutes for the lights to come full on. so try that and see what happens.

P.S. I've been a little "under the weather" or i would have gotten here sooner. good job james

jthtiger

There are no stupid questions my friend, even 4 years later.
This was exactly what i was looking for, and I hope my appreciation finds you
did you verify that the packs were set to "Dimmer" and not "switch" (ch 10 on the DMX switches) if they are set to switch, they will only turn on and off...no fade.... something to check if they are set to dimmer and still have an issue, give me a call and we can get this fixed for you

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.