Skip to main content

hello guys sorry for all the questions

i have 2 snap shot strobe light . i have them plugged into the elation 815 dimmer/ reley pace . with not having the channel that they are plugged into the strobe light will flash on about every min they will make a single flash what is making them do that ? any ideas ?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That would be do to voltage leak. The little voltage leaked by the dimmer builds up the capacitors in the strobe unit it fills up and fires off a burst. Simplest way to solve this is put a ghost light on the same channel on the pack as the strobe is. The voltage leak will go towards that instead of the strobe then. Any filament lamp will work.
Unfortunately, yes it will. The simple way around this is to use a very small fixture, like a Par 16. Then simply use Black Wrap to cover the light so it emits no light at all. Black Wrap is black, heavy duty aluminum foil that is made for blocking light and also to withstand very high temperatures. Apollo Design and a few other companies make the stuff. I keep a roll of it in my work box, very useful.
No, it has to be a complete circuit. The voltage will take the path of least resistance. In this case a filament with a complete circuit is much less resistance then a circuit that isn't complete (infinite resistance) and just filling up a capacitor.

The other thing you can do is put a resistor in line. But that requires wiring and soldering and I won't say how to do something like that over a forum because of the safety issues surrounding it. You can severely hurt or kill yourself and/or others but re-wiring things like dimmers and strobes if you don't know what you are doing. So don't try it. This safety message brought to you by OSHA and a bunch of other safety inspectors/certification organizations.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.