Skip to main content

So I am completely new to dynamic lighting. I am considering buying an Elation Cyber Pak to control stage lights for my band. We want to sync the lights to our drummer's click track using MIDI.

How do you control the Cyber Pak with midi. it has 4 channels, but receives MIDI notes 001-128. What does each note do? Is there a program I should be using?

--Kevin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is really irritating that the burden of scanning the MIDI chart is on the consumer here, and that customer service does not even seem to have access to the manual. Does anyone who works at elation even understand what this thing does?
On top of this, mine already has a fried circuit (or something, def not blown fuse) after a couple weeks of use, so the 2nd channel is totally non-functional... really wanted to love this thing, but it's off to a rocky start
The Elation Data Specification Sheet for the Cyber Pak [ http://www.elationlighting.com...s/cyberpack-data.pdf ] says "This pack allows you to convert from a dimmer to a relay pack through the midi menu."

This suggests that it will do more than just respond to simple note-on/note-off messages. To reconcile this with what the tech told James I would guess that the light intensity is controlled by the note velocity messages that is along with the note on message. [It sure would be nice if Elation's manuals would spell some of this out, or at least provied a midi map that would give one at least a hint.]

Jesus, I'd suggest that you use the midi menu on the Cyber Pak to set it into dimmer mode and select a midi channel you want it to use. Plug lights into each of the four outlets, and connect midi cables from your midi controller to the Cyber Pak. Then use your midi controller to send notes on the selected channel until you find the four notes that trigger each of the four outlets. Then try changing the velocity of the notes to see if dimming occurs. If not, come back to this forum and ask again for a midi map that will prevent the Elation spec sheet from being false advertising.

If note velocity does affect light intensity there is a chance that you can figure out a way with your controller to get it to send a global velocity change along with midi note info, but I think it would be very complicated, if doable at all.

Hobson

ok well if it only does on/off w/ MIDI, then the chart in the manual really makes no sense whatsoever, and the product description is inaccurate.
anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable dmx controller and/or software that works well with the cyberpak? needs to be something that light sequences can be recorded + played back with.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.