Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by mar2195:
(*Magic 260 / U-Link)
When I "SAVE" from the 260 to my PC, what EXACTLY is the software saving? (Everything?, Scenes?, Fixture assignments?, etc.)

If it doesn't save everything, is there a way to save everything? (Fixtures, Scenes, Shows, etc.)

Thanks.

Just save both, that way you have the show AND the fixtures. I name mine in a way that shows the save date, that way I keep them together as a pair. You may never change fixtures or maybe not as often as you program new shows but it won't hurt to back up both each time you do a backup...

Jack
1. I want to ensure that my backup includes: Fixtures Scenes and Shows. Is this correct?

2. Is there a way to save individually... FIXTURES as a file, SCENES as a file and SHOWS as a file?

3. (Using software "Magic 260 Save Rev 1.02) When I backed up the FIXTURE memory, the display on the PC never 'completed' (= the file had been saved to the PC) in the same manner as when I saved the ' - SAVE MEMORY FILE - '. It ended with "Waiting to recieve." (or something like that) Has anyone else experienced this?
The short answer is yes, fixtures are backed up to a single file and scenes AND shows are backed up together (as they should) to another file. As for the whole issue with the file transfer never completing, this is a pain and an issue with their rather weak software. The ULink software is very basic, cumbersome and yes, it has a few annoyances. I too worry about the file being truncated when I go to restore it one day and not working, I wonder if Elation has any answers to this issue?

Jack
quote:
Originally posted by Rockin Lighting:
I would like to see Editing and Emulation software to work with the Magic 260. I love the board but it would make it much easier to work on your show in the comfort of your Hotel room than spending all day at the venue.

Agreed! The real issue for me though is the lack of useability and dependability of what we DO have. First, the software is kludgy (you can get around that after some useage) but the fact it doesn't succesfully save a file (you have to basicaly "end" the transfer sometimes) worries me at times that I don't have a valid backup and it's not like you can test it as if it IS bad, you scramble the memory when you re-load. It's happened to me already, basically you have to start over and re-program...

Jack
I backed up my existing show and fixtures last night to start a brand new show with new fixtures, I was tempted to load it after I wiped but just wanted to move forward. I would like someone to tell us the "official" way we're supposed to save a show with the ULink software just waiting at the end like that. Seems you have to wait a full minute or so then click "Cancel Receive" to get the file properly saved. If you "Quit" or "Cancel" too soon you'll end up with only a partial file, which it seems must be at least 1,025KB to be "complete". A little help with this would be appreciated from Elation, I doubt they want to address the weakness here but it is important...

Jack
The software appears to be garbage!

I am experiencing the same problems described here, downloads from the board to PC not completeting, etc.

Another problem, no extensions are added to the files. From documentation found on site, the fixture file is .wcn. What about the other file? Are we to add the extensions after the files are saved on the PC?

I had a board "loose it's cookies" at a client site. I went in with what was told were the backup files saved from install to reload. No luck, getting file error and eratic behavior. Call to tech support was completely a waste of time, person had no idea what I was talking about. All I was told was to return board for repair if it did not work.

I sent board back to Elation/AmericanDJ for repair. Board came back after 3 weeks, only showed that they updated firmware and tested. Still not able to reload backup files. The fixtures file appears to have reloaded, but nothing else. I have reassigned the fixtures and DMX patching, will have to recreate shows and such on-site.

I have even tried loading/downloading files from the board here at office, no luck. I don't think that the files downloaded from board will work as a backup, no faith at all.

Please help AMDJ!
D Jackson.

I don't feel that our product is garbage. Can you please email me, JoelChen@americandj.com. I will be able to have a more direct and individual conversation with you.

A WCN file is a fixture file which I can create and send to you if you can please email me as soon as possible.

I will also need your shipping information and serial number to the product to inquire about your repair history. Please email me, JoelChen@americandj.com. Thanks!
Joel,

No need to create a .wcn file for me, we created our own with the fixtures in the system. I was able to reload this file OK.

The real problem is the "other file" not sure what the file extension should be. I had a .dat file that I thought was the backup of the original system, but only got an error message when I tried to reload and it corrupted the setting in the board.

It would be really helpful if you could answer the original question to this thread on here. "What EXACTLY does the software save?" The whole idea of a forum is to post the needed info. That is why I found this site, was looking for this same answer!

After talking with your tech support over the telephone and reading on here, I still don't know what the software does! I ended up having to start over reprograming the DMX patching, scenes and shows. This took much more time than it should have to simply recover. I am concerned about future loss of data like this as the software would not work to create a backup.

Every post you have on here directs people to email you directly which does nothing to help those looking for answers to the same questions.

I understand that there are somethings that need to be done via private email, but not general info for using your product.

Please help in answering the original question or posting links to the documents that can show us all how to use this software.

Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by djackson:

Every post you have on here directs people to email you directly which does nothing to help those looking for answers to the same questions.

I understand that there are somethings that need to be done via private email, but not general info for using your product.

Please help in answering the original question or posting links to the documents that can show us all how to use this software.

Thanks!

A - freakin - Men! Leave some info online for people to search for. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.