Skip to main content

So.... I'm experiencing odd bugs and glitches with my SD3, I recently patched in 16 conventional dimmers. So that would be 2 banks of 8 faders. Now, this is the top row of faders. They were for a long time being used as flex faders to control certain LED lighting fixtures, but we switched them to conventional dimmers in order to easily control our regular white light from our source fours, on the fly. After I'm done programming the scene I want, I'll save it to an open scene and then all the lights flash to indicate that the scene was saved. And for some reason the faders on top, which were patched to be conventional dimmers, randomly switch back to being flex faders. This is extremely odd, and so far everything goes back to normal when I do a restart of the board via the back switch. However this is pretty inconvenient and I'd like to know if this is a common issue which can be easily solved, or something out of the ordinary. Thank you!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Inside the SD3, the program memory is stored on a flash memory chip and the user memory, where the scenes and such are stored, is on SRAM that is connected to a battery. The battery keeps the memory alive when the power is off. This is the most common way for a device like this to operate. The battery life should be good for several years and the SD3 performs a battery check on power up. Flash memory is the most reliable memory and doesn't require a battery but it is slow to write so is not practical for the user memory. Sometimes electrical noise and other environmental issues can affect the SRAM. That is why it is a good idea to back up your user memory on a CF card in case something should happen.
Honestly, I'm probably complaining a little. But really why wouldn't you just make it so you could use a simple flash drive to upload profiles and save programming instead of a CF card? I'm completely ignorant on the actual manufacturing process of devices like this but I know that the higher end ETC boards have this feature and Elation is a branch off company of ETC isn't it?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.