Skip to main content

I would like to add DMX light control capability to lighting on the ceiling of a K-12 public school gymnasium stage.

The lighting for the stage is currently about six rows of eight 150 watt incandescent flood lamps (1200 watts per row), each going to it's own typical On/Off wall toggle switch.

I would like to have the option of either manually dimming the lights from the current switch location, or remotely dimming the lights from a DMX light controller in the gym, for theatrical use.

Here is what I envision this might look like:

* For the upper sliding part Off to Max, it is a normal manual wall dimmer control.
* For DMX operation the slide is moved down to the Auto position, with a tactile detent from Off to Auto, so that it is firmly held in the Auto position.
* The DMX-IN / DMX-OUT sockets are keyed so the DMX cable only connects one way.
* For side-by-side ganging, the DMX daisy chain jumper cable is about 6-8 inches long to give enough slack for removing the module from the wall box.
* I didn't draw this in, but a 10-position DIP switch would allow one of the switches for built-in DMX end-of-chain termination, leaving 9 switches for the 512 addresses
* Decora style light switch plate, with the DMX channel written on the wallplate below the slide

Does anyone know where I might find such a control? I know there are special terms used for such things, such as "architectural lighting" etc, so it's very hard to find what I'm looking for since I don't know its formal name.

If nothing like this exists, will someone please build it? Regarding patenting, licensing, blah blah, I don't have the money or the technical design and manufacturing capability to make this myself. So I will settle for someone else making the profit off of it, if I can just buy it for my school a reasonable price.

Dale Mahalko
Tech Support / Network Admin
Cornell School District, Cornell, WI
Lake Holcombe School District, Holcombe, WI
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Why not install a cheap DMX console at the wall, and then a wallpanel for bypassing the on-wall controller to go to your main controller for events? Are all the switches ganged together? If so, you could install rack mounted dimmers or back-haul power to a centralized location and use dimmer packs. Or, dimmer packs in your stage lighting.

Or are you talking the lighting for the house?

Typically, I've seen HOUSE LIGHTS(that's what I'd call those) sepparate from stage lighting. We'd get the house tech to dim/kill/bring back the lights when we needed it. Of course, a lot of architectural lighting might use some rather specific-type DMX controllers.

I'm sure you're not re-inventing the wheel here or coming up with something new. I also don't think you're going to be breaking the bank here either.

I just like the idea of an inexpensive controller mounted to a wall-mount rack, shallow depth and well labelled. Then, for more advanced shows, hit the patch panel and move a cable. At a location somewhere convenient for the lighting tech, you have another DMX connection where you'd tie in your stuff.

I think you're going to want to install a theater installation company or a place that does consulting for restaurants and hotels. This sounds right into what they are doing.

I like your idea for addressing "made convenient". I bet for a few bucks more, they can make a menu/display driven interface as well to do the same job. Do you want addressing in banks or individually would be the biggest concern.
Yes, this is for controlling "house lights".

No, it is nearly impossible to smoothly choreograph manual "house lights" wall switch flipping in time with what the director/sound/lighting person needs to do at any given moment.

Manual-mode operation needs to be as easy and low-tech as possible.

The end users are random students and staff using the gym stage for non-theater purposes. Most of the year there are a collection of aerobic exercise machines on the stage.

Selecting Auto mode also needs to be as easy and straightforward possible. A switch detent and perhaps an "Auto enabled" LED indicator would be most helpful.

The DMX would be disconnected most of the year, then for shows an ADJ light control panel plugs into the DMX-In, while the DMX-Out goes to stage lights that are hung up only for a few months of the year.

So I think a full-scale dimmer panel with DMX scene control is a bit over the top for what is needed.
Yup, I'd say I'd agree. A used basic DMX controller would be way overkill.

Perhaps a box with two modes: DMX and manual, like what you said. Slam it all the way down and you're in DMX mode. No signal from DMX? DO NOTHING. Or a button or rocker switch to switch between manual and DMX mode.

I agree that choreagraphy with house lights with the lighting director is not always smooth, but it can be if your switch operator isn't flaking out all the time. But, you're dealing with grade schoolers, not professionals.

I'm sure this is a rather easy item. You want a dimmer with DMX functionality as an option. The only restriction against the hanging dimmer packs is they don't carry enough current that you'd need.

Again, I think you need to deal with an electronics company that works with hotels and restaurants. Chances are something like this already exists. My only real suggestion would be to chance from your strip-type connections to a more socketted type connector, if not DMX connections for chaining together. Or maybe "Lego Brick Style", where you simply click them together before placing into the wall box(es) and then you make a compact DMX terminator, which I don't see being a big hassle.

I just think someone has already done this, you're just in the wrong basic area. I think an electrical contractor who deals with complex installs is the way to go.

I supose it depends on how fancy you want it. I personally would prefer the addressing to be via a display panel rather than rear-mounted DIP switches. The rear mounted DIP switches are a good idea and safe, but what if a chance was required? Now it's not as safe to make changes. Doing this on the front invites idle hands. Putting the switches behind a locked panel discourages usage. A locked panel would be over-kill, where a regular panel with a cover and is labelled LIGHTING CONTROL" might be the way to go.

I have found this to be true: No matter how easy you make it, someone will find it too difficult.

Reminds me of the internet. They marketted it to idiots. Now here they are, and look what they've done to the place.
Hi Dale,

The concept sounds interesting. i see what you are doing here.
and its something many people have been trying to do.
They want wall control and they want console control.
however this is always easier said than done.

since your pictures is using wall dimmers, i don't think the units are big enough to fit DMX electronics.

Plus if you have more than one light you will need a lot more of these dimmers.

Our smallest 1 channel DMX dimmer is the UNI bar. You can see the difference in size.
In order to make your system work you will need the following

DMX dimmers
Wall mount DMX control
Desk DMX controller
DMX merger

The merger will allow the Desk to overide the wall controller and vise versa, but you need DMX dimmers to make this work.
Dale, you should look into hiring someone to design and/or install a system for you. Its not very complicated what you want to do, but not easy to implement.

With regards to the type of override control you are looking for, what you want is a HTP (Highest Takes Precedence) system. What this does is you says what ever the highest level is from any sources, that's the value it uses. I know in full blown theatres here in New Jersey, you need such a system and it actually needs to be tied into the fire system depending upon seating capacity. Reason I bring this point up, is because in dealing with some from of control and 'house lights', there might be certain codes you need to follow. Another reason why you should look into a professional.

There are a lot of systems out there, but they are full blown install systems. They come with different options for control, but they are not cheap systems. Likewise, if it is a gymatorium like we have in a lot of schools here in Jersey, you probably have mercury vapor and/or florescent lighting which can't be dimmed anyway. (Florescents can now be dimmed, but they need sine wave dimmers, only one company makes them, and they are most certainly anything but cheap.) Realistically, it is probably better and easier to have someone turning on and off the lights via a cue during shows. You might also try and do what some places do and 'install house lighting' for shows. This means hang some lights, normally scoop and/or cyc lights work the best, run some cables out to them from the stage going back to dimmers or hang dimmer packs in the air and run power and DMX out to the dimmer packs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.