Skip to main content

I have had these Design Spot 250 lights for about 9 years and the rubberized coating on the plastic covers of the lights had deteriorated into a sticky oily mess. You couldnt touch the units you'd end up with hands full of a greasy glop.  No spray solvent I tried would remove this stuff. Elation couldn't help me, they wanted to sell me new replacement covers. They couldn't even tell me what the coating was made of.  Each time I touched the lights I had to run and wash my hands. My workers didn't want to handle them; they complained "these lights are gross".

I finally figured...soap removes the substance from my hands. So as a test, I took off one of the panels and soaked it overnight in a container of hot water with lots of Dawn dishwashing liquid. This dissolved the old disgusting coating to the point where it could be wiped off with a rag. The plastic cover panel looks almost new now.

There are 15 panels that have to be removed from the fixture and cleaned this way. Take them all off and immerse them in a large tub. In 24 hours they can be wiped and rinsed clean. Use lots of Dawn. It takes about an hour to remove them all. A philips screwdriver does it but you have to be careful; if you are not technically inclined you can damage something. 

I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Kojak

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you for the tip, I came to the forum today because I'm having the same issue on my older Platinum 5R beams and 5R spots.  It's only on the head covers so far, but when we cleaned them this year, some came out with white splotches that were sticky, some looked like the entire cover was coming off the substance was sticky underneath.  I am going to try your soaking method to see if I can restore these head covers.

I don't know what this substance is but in the 90s there were lots of electronic gear that was encased with this rubber coating because it gave the device a "tough" look. Years later we know now that stuff is no good; it decomposes over time and turns to greasy sticky tar. Elation techs say the company doesn't supply lights coated with this substance anymore; they use a different plastic panel supplier for their products now, and they were not willing to say what the substance was or offer any advice how to clean it off your lights - basically if you own a lot of these light fixtures from 12- 15 years ago that have deteriorated covers you are on your own.

Take off one panel and soak it in hot water and Dawn as a test. May take up to 48 hrs. If it works and the glop comes off, do the rest. The white splotches you see is leftover soap that has not been rinsed off yet. You need vigorous rinsing with water and a good wipedown with a fresh rag; the cover will come clean. I did 4 lights this way.

Good luck!

Kojak

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.