Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not at all buddy. they are barely getting these off the ground. Even if a higher power fixture comes out with more features.. it will probably still be on the DJ side of lighting.

In my opinion is still Novelty gear.. Because 4 of those would work very well in my living room. Smiler and smaller DJ gigs.

We have the Impression at the moment. Smiler

Best regards,
I've actually never heard of a single 20W LED that does RGB mixing. I am more curious as to what it really is. That being said if there are such things as 20W LEDS then it would just seem that they would eventually replace conventional bulbs. This would be different than the Impression. Basically take a design spot and replace the bulb with a bright led - less power and no fans! I appreciate you letting me know as I just bought 4 design spot 250's and was going to be mad at myself for not waiting if this was on the horizon!
Wait. I knew it was one 20w LED, but a white one? That makes no sense at all. LEDs don't emit the full range of visible light. This is why when you have RGB all on, it is not a true 'white' because they don't cover the range to make white.

Color media, be it gel or glass, work by blocking certain parts of the visible light spectrum to make color. So we have a source that doesn't emit the full range of visible light with color media to try and change it different colors? Even if they were specially made for LEDs and corrected for that, the amount of light lost from a smaller part of the spectrum would make colors pretty much useless.

LEDs get their strength from being color additive, not subtractive like conventional lights. The reason why it works well in conventional lights is because you are starting with a powerful source to begin with. The whole concept is completely backwards I am sorry to say.
well here is what the page says.
"LED TECHNOLOGY BREAKTHROUGH! The X-Move LED Hi-Tech Moving Head features a 20-Watt white LED for a hard edge beam that will project gobos and solid colors. Now you can enjoy the look of a traditional halogen or discharge lighting effect with a fraction of the power draw (44W) and without the hassle of changing out the light bulbs (LEDs rated at 50,000 hours)."
I called ADJ and the guy on the phone didn't know much. He said it was color mixing because of the RGB leds? I said that the specs say one 20W white LED...he said "I know." That's when I knew he didn't!

If you look at the demo there is no color mixing going on...it's a color wheel turning. I will definitely have a look when it comes out just to see the brightness.
The other major thing I have heard is that in order to get LEDs to projector gobos, they have to be bounced off of glass mirrors or something like that. This would also cause a loss of light. So I don't think it will out put like an arc lamp any time soon. Optic trains on arc lamps just keep getting better and better. The other major thing lamp companies will have to look at is they will never have the sales like they do now if everything goes LED. They will continue to improve lamps for the sole reason that without them, they won't make money any more.

LEDs also have drawbacks as well. The first being they can't run off of AC like a normal lamp, they need DC. This means there will always be some transformer and power loss involved. If the transformer goes bad, your in trouble. Also, if an LED breaks, you will have to completely disassemble the light to fix it and get out the soldering iron. Don't for get heat sinks when soldering these things either, they will be destroyed if you don't. LEDs also cost tons of money right now, and they most likely will continue because there again, lamp companies need to make up for the fact that you will never have to buy a replacement LED.

Also look at the amount of LEDs required to match a lamp. The DLED 36 can't keep up with a 750w S4 ParNel extended life, let along the 300 hour version. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans for a 1000w HPL to give them another bump up. The lumen output for the extend life would be about 20500 lumen and the non extended version 27375. That is a lot of lumen power. Tungsten also doesn't fade in intensity as it gets older like arc lamps do, well not nearly as noticeably any way.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.