Skip to main content

Good Day,
I have recieved a design spot 575e from a church install.The customer indicates that during the services The
light will loose dmx control and start moving randomly with all systems active ie gobos.The conditions as described to me are that problem occurs with the lamp on,set into position and waiting for next command.I have tried to duplicate this problem in the shop to no success.I have checked the internal wiring (good ), all chips are seated properly and tight.This unit is not new and has been on location for quite a while with no known issues this has only occurred twicw before they pulled unit a few weeks ago.I have confirmed the dmx line is good as well as a terminator is being used.
Base operating temp might be a issue as the unit is located quite high in the air of the sanctuary.I cannot confirm the mean operating temp at that location.
I have operated the unit in the same conditons in the shop letting the base and head get hot over and extended amount of time with no failure.
Any suggestions or thoughts?Has this been a issue on other units?
Could it be a software issue?

Thanks for your help.
JB TERI Prod.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey pro-tech and welcome to the forums.

It sounds to me like faulty wiring on site, not within the unit itself since you checked that and can't repeat the problem on the bench. I would make sure they are using DMX wiring, check for faults in their wiring, and also the type of controller and distance between the controller and fixture. If it is a fairly long distance (300+ feet), they probably need a splitter to boost the signal, especially if using a USB device for DMX signal. If they are also using a lot of fixtures, more reason to use a splitter because each fixture saps some of the signal strength. Also remember DMX has a hard limit of 32 fixtures per universe. Beyond that, you will experience control issues.

If that checks out and the problem is still happening in the same spot, check the programing on the console. It might simply be doing what it is told to do without them realizing it.
Hi Pro-Tech.

Generic trouble shooting comes to mind. if it works on your bench chances are the fixture does not have an issue and it would be in the data line.

1. are they using DMX cable or Microphone cable?
Using Mic cable causes intermittent issues like what you are experiencing.

2. If it worked before and now it doesn't it could be possible that mice may have chewed the data line, or that the data line could've been pinched. changing the data line usually works.

These issues make the most sense to me because any dmx fixture usually responds the way you describe when dmx polarity is crossed or there is a problem in the DMX line.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.