Skip to main content

This is a repost because I accidentally posted this thread in the wrong catagory. Sorry.

I just spent the last several days programming my Magic 260 for my band's next gig. If there are any fixes for two bugs that I ran into repeatedly, I'd sure love to hear of them.

Bug 1: The M260 repeatedly looses the fixture profile for certain fixtures. Normally when you are in Scene/Fixture mode when you select a fixture the LED screen will have labels above each of the four rotary knobs, e.g., "Dimmer," "Macro," Move Speed."

However, when the M260 has lost the profile the word "Pan" appears above every knob. You go into MENU/CHOOSE FIXTURES and scroll to the offending fixture and it will show either the wrong fixture profile or no fixture profile patched to the fixture button. You can re-patch the appropriate profile to the button and it will ask you if you want to overwrite. [Note: If you try to do this with a profile that has not been lost by the M260, i.e., one that remains correctly patched to a button, you do not get the overwrite message.]

There are some profiles that never get lost by the M260 and other profiles that often get lost. There are some profiles that never get lost to certain buttons, but the same profile gets lost from other buttons.

Bug 2: Occasionally the Move Speed function will get caught in an endless do loop. The numbers rapidly and endlessly change – they change so fast that I can’t tell what they are doing. Neither trying to manually set the move speed to a specific number nor turning the M260 off and on stops the behavior. I was able to stop it by selecting the fixture having the problem and then another fixture with the same profile and setting the move speed on the second fixture, i.e., setting the speed on the second fixture stopped the number spinning on the first fixture.

Any help on either of these would be very much appreciated.

I’ve already re-flashed the firmware once – with firmware sent to me by Sergio – in an effort to fix these kinds of problems. Is the Magic 260 notoriously unstable or do I just have a bad unit?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's hard to say what's going on. I've seen this sort of thing with datacomm hardware. The symptoms are similar, but the solution isn't aways as similar.

1: Self diagnostics. While helpful, aren't definitive. If something FAILS a self diagnostic, chances are there is in fact a problem. But, I've seen gear that is IN FAILURE not properly state that it is in fact in failure. So, self diagnostics can't be trusted. This doesn't appear to apply to your case. But, dealing with expensive datacomm gear, this is just something I've learned to be aware of.

2: Firmware issues. You're addressing this with the help of support in regards to getting this issue addressed with firmware. In most cases, firmware updates do resolve issues because typically speaking the issue was discovered and addressed, which is in part one of the many reasons for the newer firmware being released.

Sometimes a firmware flash can resolve it. Sometimes REFLASHING again with the same firmware can resolve it, assuming you got a bad load or the file was corrupted. Always do this with a fresher download just in case.
However, firmware alone sometimes doesn't do it. There may be other things to look into.
Sometimes a newer firmware update DOESN'T do it. In some cases, the newer firmware doesn't address the problem. It happens.

3: Since you have extra stuff in the Magic260, my suggestions are as follows:
You have installed profiles into the Magic260. Delete the problem profiles, power cycle, ensure they are gone(best you can tell) and then re-load the profiles. Maybe the profiles went in bad. Maybe the profiles are bad.

4: More extreme measures would be to zero the Magic260. I don't know if the Magic260 has a archive/back-up function, but if it does, use it. But, you do run the risk of if the problem is in something you did(even by accident), it may come back after pushing the back-up back in.

Sometimes something gets corrupted into memory and this is the only way to clear it out. That is my whole thought process behind this step.

Hopefully you documented your shows and scenes. As you may be aware, I strongly advocate multiple methods of back-up whenever possible. Sometimes it comes down to pencil and paper.

This is why I like routers and stuff like that. I can see what's going on via a command line and I have a copy of the configuration stored on a network server as a text file that can be pushed/copy-pasted back in or else pushed via TFTP or bootp. I don't think lighting consoles behave like that though. But I know my cheap Cisco routers can do that!

Going back to issue 1: It could in fact be a bad unit. Stuff does fail. But, short of starting from zilch to ensure everything is factory fresh and clean, it's hard to totally diagnose.
Chris,

As always, thanks for the response.

I do have all my programming backed up. I have the U-Link usb cable that transmits data to and from the M260. [Speaking of buggs, when I send the memory from M260 to the the M260 software, it constantly says "Waiting Recieve Data. . .," as a scroll bars suggests that it is actually already receiving the dats. After the M260 "File Sent," the software says "Waiting Recieve Data. . .," but the scroll bar stops. Your only options at that point are to hit "Cancel Receive" or "Exit." The good news is that the software actually does save the file, even though it acts like it hasn't.]

The instructions for flashing the firmware warns that everything on the M260 will be wiped out. Sure enough after I did it there were no profiles or memory in the unit - except that the lights on at least half the Scenes were on (indicating that something is stored there), but when you press it, the scene name is hyroglifics and all the values in the scene are "000." [Oh yeah, if you try to delete them, they go away for a second or two and then turn back on.]

I'm pretty sure that my Magic 260 is haywire - but with an almost unbearable amount of hassle, it does some amazing things with the lights. My real question at this point (which I've asked on this forum and the ADJ forum) is the problem just in my unit or are all Magic 260s buggy?
Well, let me put in a few mre cents worth.

I'm having issues with the korg nanopad. I bought one, it's not even 8 months old, but it's been dead since I opened the box. Wife lost my receipt for me, Guitar Center didn't track my receipt(I think I may have paid cash), and so, I'm rather screwed. Bought a new one a few days ago: same type of problems. Clearly, the nanopad is not a well made bit of gear. Then agian, we're talking a unit selling for $60 and less retail.

But I've also seen buggy things with high end gear, typically due to a bad batch of components used during making.

In your case, knowing how ADJ and Elation are about quality control, I think your Magic 260 is just developing issues. I have the feeling it's just your unit right now with the problem. I also agree with your assessment that there is defintely something more than just a firmware issue going on. So, I'd say call Service and get it taken care of ASAP. Hopefully this doesn't affect your gigs as I know you're out performing quite a bit. It shouldn't be such a hassle to get stuff done with that console. I have never used a Magic 260, I own a DMX Operator. I prefer and mainly use now the MyDMX software.
Sorry to hear about your Korg Nano problems. I've had great luck with and love my Korg TR-61 and M-50.

I had hoped that Elation support would chime in here. Our next gig is July 3, so I don't have time to replace it right now. I'm going to have to keep my fingers crossed that the M260 doesn't go nuts at the gig.

If I haven't hear from them beforehand, I'll call them after the gig when I'll have some time I can afford to be without the unit.

Hobson
Korg and I go way, way, WAY back. To like 1986. I have a fair amount of Korg gear:

DS-8, DDD-5, Wavestation SR, M3R, RE1 remote editor, KMX-112, 03WR, and a full complement of pedals, so Korg isn't leaving my rig anytime soon.

I think with the nano-series, Korg just didn't quite swing it right with a low-cost accessory line. Hey, we can't with them all, right?

For you, I'd still call support. I know July 3rd is like a little under 2 weeks away, but you might be able to get a speedier turn-around time. Call them up and see what they have to say. If anything, get your RA so you can send it in. The first time I called to get an ADJ RA, it took 3 weeks before I could actually get to send it off. So definately call them up.

That's one thing I like about software solutions: Should I tank, I have a back-up ready to go. I keep my shows on a USB stick as a back-up. If I make a change, I update the stick as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.