Skip to main content

Can anyone give some pointers on how to use the Fade function on the Magic 260? The manual says little beyond how to set fade times in scenes. I've tried several things to get one scene to fade into the next instead of snapping to the new scene (both in shows and when you turn off an individual scene), and I can't tell that any fading is ever happenning.

Must be doing something wrong. Any ideas as to how to use this function?

Thanks

Hobson
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Haven't seen email.

Here's the equipment I'm trying to fade:
4 Mega Bar 50 RGBs
2 Mega Bar Pros
2 Eliminator Electro Panel 192
8 Cheapo Par 56 LED Par Cans (wish I'd bought ADJ par cans. probably will replace them before long)
1 DP-415 (I'm using another one in switch mode to respond to the AUX buttons.]

As I could find profiles only for the DP-415s on the ADJ website, I constructed my own.

I'm running both the Mega Bar Pros and 50s in 7 Channel mode. In "Fixture Edit" I've specified channel 7 as the "Master Channel" and labeled Channel 7 as "Dimmer" in the Channel information.
I've set "Black Channel" to "None" because I don't know what "Black Channel" means. I've also left the "Fade Mode" on what the program automatically selected, "Snap Before," because I don't know what that means either. [Now that I relook at the Fade Mode settings I suspect that I should have set something to "Fade" instead of "Snap Before," but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'd appreciate you telling me how to do it correctly.]

The Electro 192s are running in 7 Channel mode and operate just like the Mega Bar 50s (so I set them up the same).

The par cans are 4 channel:
Channel #1
0-no function
1-129 master dimmer
130-250 strobe (slow to fast)
251-255 full on

Channel #2- red
Channel #3- green
Channel #4- blue

On these cans I've specified Channels 2, 3 &4 as the Master Channels because otherwise the strobe speed changes if I lower the Master slider. But, perhaps incorrectly, I've indicated that Channel 1 is the "Dimmer" in the Channel Information.

I really appreciate your help.

Hobson
jingles is correct.

you need to tell the profile what channel is the shutter.
this way when you hit the black button it closes all the shutters of all your lights.

regarding attributes

you'll see many attributes both LED and moving lights alike where say the color RED or Magenta is 0-100% this means that you can gradually change that value.
Those 0-100% are fixture attributes that use FADE.
other attributes would be Focus, Zoom, Dimmer, Cyan magenta yellow, Red Green Blue Pan Tilt iris and cmy speed.
there is not set values and usually you will want a smooth transition of these attributes.

Now think about your gobo wheel and color wheels and other light functions.

when you have your light set on color red of the color wheel.
then you transition to another color in the color wheel, and say you have a fade time of 10 seconds.
you have options..
1. would you like the colors to slowly transition with the movement.
If you do this you will see each color in between the to chosen colors. if you have 3 colors in between your scene will transition with all those colors making your scene look unless that's what you want then go for it. If you like this feature set your color channel to FADE.
Say you want to set a 10 sec fade on your movment, but you don't want to color transition. If you set "Snap before" the color will quickly change to the next color in the scene. then when the fade transition happens it will stay on one solid color.
If you set it to "Snap After" it will keep original scene color. then when the fade is done it will snap to the new color of the scene.
it's really up to the user to set this mode how he wants.
Well, I changed the Red, Green & Blue to Fade on the profiles of both the Mega Bar Pro and the Mega Bar 50. They were all working before I did this (except they wouldn't fade). Now they are acting completely crazy. Two 50s won't respond to anything, another only to red. Another will strobe white only. The pro bars are equally unresponsive.

I tried reloading the the profiles that had been working fine, but that didn't help.

Now what do I do?

Hobson

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.