Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes it will work with win 7. The software will be available to download for free. I Believe the new software will only work on the new interfaces. You will not be able to use the new software with your current interface, for example Compu live 1024Ec and 2048Fc interfaces will not work with the new software. But I am trying to confirm this information.
Sincerely,
Well, I'm in the process of upgrading from MyDMX to a low cost version of CompuLive. With the typical round of boasts and bails from new Windows OS releases, I intend to stick firm with XP Home and Pro for at least another full year, although I may integrate some Vista into my network for support purposes.

I can easily(well, reasonably) dedicate a fixed system to both software regardless of which way MyDMX and CompuLive goes.

I do feel though that all software needs to move to a 64-bit platform, even more so with Windows 7. This means that all MyDMX and CompuLive releases should be not only 64-bit compatible, but XP, Vista and Win7 compatible as well before the end of the second quarter of 2010.

But, for those of us who can maintain and support older systems, can and do when we have to to ensure we can continue to have the stuff we need to get the job done.

At the rate things are going with me and projects with lighting, I may be forced to upgrade to some of the higher end Compu Live Packages. So my support concerns might end up vanishing out of necessity.

Regardless, Windows 7 is not going to be the smooth deployment Microsoft expects, same as they had with XP, and to an ongoing extend with Vista. I have thus far avoiding Vista, ad I don't see the urgency to jump into Windows 7.
I just recently upgraded from 64 bit vista to 64 bit win 7. In win 7 you can run software in xp SP2 compatibility mode. But not drivers. I will say that I really like win 7. It's faster and smoother them vista and those annoying security pop ups can be modified. And we do still plan on releasing a 64 bit compu live package by years end.
Sincerely,
I bet based on that timeline there is good probability that 64-bit compatibility will aso mean Windows XP/64, Vista-64 and Win7 compatibility as well.

You're talking less than 60 days away. That's not a bad delay. It generally takes me 6 months to process and switch over to something else. It's just hard to change. I need to redo my laptop, but it's just not easy to schedule the downtime. I'm migrating that from XP Home to XP Pro. My current excuse in is also that I don't have the license in my possession!
Hi I am new to this forum

I just got my Compu live 1024ec
is there not going to be any new software verisons just patches and lighting updates

The new software ver coming out is not going to work with 1024ec
This will be just like when I when and got logic audio and they stop windows
development (lucky I did open it) and I ended up going with nuendo.

Is there going to be a upgrade path is going to cost alot to upgrade?
should I return and wait for the new one to come out?

Thanks
A couple of question then

Do you know when the upgrade path and cost will be know
will it be with in 30 days.
I take it is a new UsbDMX dongle and new software
is there any on what the upgrade is?

I don't mind paying upgrades I do it all the time.
I but have never upgraded from elation, so I don't know what to
expect in pricing.
I don't know what the new hardware is going to be.
If the costs for new are going to stay the same
and the upgrade price is like ($300.00 for ex.)
then i would wait.

I bought it now so am planning on buy it any way
if I had it for a year then its just the normal part of
keeping every thing updated.
Not trying to be a pest or anything just want to make the
best money decision.
I just try not to buy something in the end of it devolpemnt cycle(maint mode)

Support is one of the reasons I choose this prodect>

Thanks
James,

On 16 October 2009 11:18 AM, within this thread I posted "Please don't tell me that my investment 10 months ago in a 1024 is now obsolete. I would find that decision to abandon existing users quite damaging to Elation's trusted relationship with existing and future customers." You responded on 16 October 2009 03:43 PM, "We will not be abandoning you."

I respectfully request that Elation revisit this decision. If not, I am going need more information and an acknowledment that in fact you are abandoning me less than 12 months from paying retail for your 1024 product.

Also, could Elation please close the loop on the open point in the "midi time code" thread from last Spring?

Regards, Bob
You must understand that I personally have nothing to do with these decisions when it comes to who gets what with the new software aswell as when it comes out. We will not be abandoning you. your current version of compu live will still be supported and have profiles made for. We are simply upgrading products that have been out for years. This happens all the time where ever you go. These days most computers are out of date 6 months after they come out. So if you bought a computer that was new and top of the line only to find 6 months later and newer better more full featured model was out would you consider that abandonment by the company for not selling you something that wasn't out yet? As I have said all the details are still being worked out but as far as 1024 EC goes I don't believe there is a upgrade option there. I apologize.
Sincerely,
I understand your point with the computers...but when you don't upgrade a device for years, you give upgrade options to all who have recently purchased, not just certain people. Computers are constantly changing, but you can upgrade those with no problem...in this case you can't. An option should be given to all as we are all customers, not just those who have spent more money on a certain device than others have.

I've been a long time supporter of Elation lights and especially the CompuLive program...but this is ridiculous and makes me reconsider a lot of things.
I would have to agree here. No attack on you Jingles, but the Compu program has not been the best as far as upgrades and releases for current users.

To DShort, before you get to turned off by Elation, I wanted to make sure you knew that Elation did not make Compu Live, it is actually made by Nicolaudie and sold under the name Sunlite. I would venture to guess, Elation takes what they get as far as releases for the software.
I bought my Road Hog in 2007. Cost me ALOT more then what Compu costs. A few months later, HES came out with the Road Hog Full Boar, which costs more, but better in every aspect. Durning this time period, the Hog iPC was discontinued, which is what the Full Boar replaced. Now, I wanted an iPC/Full Boar, but got what I paid for. HES is going to say, "We are sorry about that, we will let you trade your Road Hog in for a Full Boar and you can pay the difference." Nope, not so much. I want a Full Boar, I have to pay full price for one. Putting it into perspective, a Full Boar costs more then the average person's car.

This industry changes fast, nature of the beast. Because of this, I rotate my gear (minus high ticket items like consoles) every 2 years. There is a company called 4Wall that does the same thing, and literally has a website dedicated just for selling their used gear. So basically, you want to play, you have to pay. Again, nature of the beast.

/rant
I understand all your points and each one is a valid point. We are still deciding the best course for upgrades. We are TRYING to find a way to make all of our customers happy but we realize we simply cannot please everyone. There is still talks going on about everything, some of which sound really good and reasonable. however i cannot post any of that information on a public forum. I do hope you understand.
Sincerely,
Thanks for the info Jingles
I will take back my unit.
I know this interface has been out for a long time(2006)and the chip in it is not compable with 64-bit OS and that software upgrade have been free.
I understand the reasons for such things and like I said I have been thought this with protools hardware, midi, video,audio and every other music,audio vendor I have used.
When it comes to these PC controllers, it really needs to be looked at as hardware more so than software.
Many times these interface don't have the capacity to keep up with these new performances of the PC's and what the PC's can deliver.

Just like X-box X-box 360, play station play station 2 playstation 3, new platforms means new games. john madden john madden 2 john madden 3.
Never in any case has these manufacturer upgraded anyone.
If you want the newest and baddest then you need to pay for it.

Regarding Compu, the software is changing, its a completly new software that requires a new interface for it to work properly.
the original interface can't handle it and thus a new system needed to be created.

The original Compu systems are still working fixtures just as Serra's 2007 road hog or Original Play station. They are still operating products and get the Job done, but if you want the newest and baddest to keep up with the jones then its a matter of ponying up and purchasing it.

Other than that Compu Live still works with Windows XP and Vista 32bit.
I hope this clears up the issue.. but on the bright side Elation does plan to offer something for those wanting to use with 64 bit for a limited time.
HOLY CRAP!! Mad

I have been waiting for an update for my Compulite 2048FC+ since August of 2008.... (see post below)

Quirks or bugs, and some recommended Enhancements

And now they are saying that Elation is planning to phase it out? I have been checking back FOR OVER A YEAR for updates!!! for the "promised" update, and now I see this thread....

I'M GLAD I BOUGHT A WHOLE HOG 3!!!!

And WOW!, the possibilities of the things you can do with a REAL lighting system!!

There have been many updates, and enhancements since I bought it new. They keep on top of their issues, and user requests, to keep the customer happy!

Wow, I finally have a reason to walk away from Elation!

Guess I better sell my Compu 2048FC+ on EBay while it's still worth something...

What a waste of money!!!
Last edited by misebeam
I didn't even know there was going to be a new software available soon Smiler

Can anyone point me in a direction where I can read more about the release? And how it will differ from the current software (I have the 2048FC I believe)

Also for those complaining about being left behind, I'm sure elation is trying everything in their power to help you guys out, but shit happens in any industry that involves any bit of technology. When I bought Avid Liquid Pro with the breakout box, 1 month later, it was discontinued and Avid released Avid Media Composer. $1500 investment shot... So be lucky its a small investment, unlike Serra with his Hog investment.

I for one love the support I have with my compu live, Jingles has helped me tons in situations I thought I were dead in.
`

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.