Skip to main content

OK - I like my DS 575E's (although I'm on the forum because I was looking for a tech support solution that has hopefully been solved with a phone call and a PCBoard on its way.)
As I was saying - I like my DS 575E's, and am starting to get excited about a lighter, cheaper, and 'comparable' Platinum Spot 5R, even without the CMY mixing that we're all hoping for.

But what is comparable about the LUX numbers? 575E @ 15' beam angle and 16.6' throw measures 6630LUX or 616fc (source DS cutsheet from Elation website). The Platinum Spot 5R advertises 3,462 LUX or 322fc @ 16' throw with a 17' beam angle source)

Those numbers don't appear comparable to me. It appears to be almost half as bright with an ever so slightly larger field. Am I reading or interpreting what I read incorrectly? I still really want to be excited about these new lights, but I need some reassurance!

-Kevin
Original Post
Hey Kevin and welcome to the forums.

I am like you in that I have DS 575Es and love them. I was planning on grabbing some DS 250 Pros but decided to wait till after LDI. Sure enough, Elation unveiled this little guy. They cost more then a DS 250, but put out a lot more light. 173 FC and 1858 lux at the same 5m mark with the same 17 degree angle for the DS 250. So I am not viewing them as DS 575E replacements at all since the DS 575Es have a lot more feature wise and cost a lot more.

Now it is comparable, not the same as, a 575w arc. When I finally get my hands on them, I am putting them right next to a DS 575E and will shot them out. It might be more of a perception thing, which worries me. But again, I am not getting them to replace DS 575Es, I am basically getting them instead of DS 250 Pros. I will also be more then likely using them in a role more as 250s then 575s.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.